- 6 ounce package spinach leaves (or about 2 bunches)
- 1 pint strawberries (about 2 cups sliced)
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon minced onions
- 1/4 teaspoon Worchestershire Sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- Wash spinach leaves and strawberries in clear water and drain well.
- Remove stems from spinach leaves, tear into bite-size pieces and place in a large bowl.
- Remove stems, slice strawberries and add to spinach. Cover and chill until serving time.
- In a blender or food processor, combine sugar, seeds, onions, Worchestershire Sauce and paprika.
- With blender running, add oil and vinegar to combine ingredients. Chill.
- Toss spinach and strawberries with about half the dressing, reserving the rest for another recipe.
Wait to combine the dressing with the salad until just before serving. Separately, both will keep in the fridge for a couple days. Drizzle the dressing over the strawberries and spinach, then toss.
Kids of all ages can help prepare this salad. Even preschoolers can tear the spinach leaves while older kids can help measure and use the blender to make the dressing. With everyone having a hand in preparation, they will be much more likely to taste and like this spinach salad.
Fresh fruit and vegetables from the garden or farmer’s market need special attention! Be sure to wash spinach leaves and strawberries well in a sinkful of cold water to remove sand and dirt. Dry on a clean paper towel before combining with other ingredients.